Digital Metadata and Web Services
Members of the GSU Community can place a request for materials or make an appointment by using the Archival Request Form.
Alumni and community members can contact the archives by emailing requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There may be restricted or limited access to some collection materials. Be sure to review the Library Archives Policy below.
About the Archives
The mission of the GSU Archives is to select, preserve, and make accessible an authentic record of the programs, people, and operations of Governors State University, as well as to provide archival management for records of external organizations and documents of individuals in support of the administrative, teaching, research, and service interests of the University.
The Archives Department maintains the university's historical records as well as a syllabus collection, thesis collection, and photography collection. The collection also contains documents and artifacts from the surrounding region.
Content ranges from
- Original and copied correspondence, memoranda, and reports generated or received by the institution
- Organization and committee files
- Publications created for the GSU community
- Module, Syllabi, and other historical course information
- Bulletins, event materials, and press releases
- Manuscript collections of personal, working, and professional papers
- Student published manuscript and faculty monographs
- Unique historical documents and memorabilia related to the founding of the University
- A collection of rare books selected based on their value, rarity, or unique characteristics
University Archives: Through the Years
Current Collection Projects
NEW! Archives Renovation
Update to the existing physical archives space, ensuring stability of preserved items.
Thesis, Dissertation, and Project Preparation
Processing archived student scholarship into a searchable database in preparation for the digital shift.
Assessing the historical syllabi and module packets of university courses, making the collection searchable to students looking to revisit for qualification or accreditation.
Photo Indexing Project
An arrangement, identification, and classification of over 980,000 images of GSU history.
Finding Aid Digitization
A large scale inventory process that will make materials in the Archives more accessible. Content is cross-indexed by description and location, enhancing searchability.
New! GSU History LibGuide
Where did the GSU logo originate? What was the Mini Campus? Who was the first student enrolled at GSU? Answers to these questions and more are found at this link: