Interlibrary Loan = Generic term for borrowing books from other libraries.
GSU Interlibrary Loan = borrowing books libraries not in I-Share, textbooks CAN NOT be requested this way. Contact the Reference Desk if you want to borrow a book not available in the GSU Library or through I-Share.
I-Share = Name of library catalog that searches GSU library and the other libraries that GSU students, staff and faculty can borrow books from
Library Card = Current, validated GSU ID (staff and faculty) or myONECARD
Basic info on I-Share and borrowing books
What is I-Share?
- The I-Share catalog is made up of 82 libraries linking their library catalogs. It allows you to search the GSU Library catalog to see if we have what you want and to search all 82 libraries at once to find out if any other library has the book.
I've checked the GSU catalog and I-Share, the book isn't available. What can I do now?
- Contact the reference desk for information on doing an interlibrary loan. You can stop by in person during library hours, call 708.534.4111 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
I have a list of textbooks, will I be able to get them all and keep them the entire semester?
- The Library does not request textbooks through I-Share, you must login and request them yourself. The length of time you can keep the book will depend on the lending library.
It shows more than one library has my book, which one do I pick?
- You don't have to choose one, they will automatically send your request to the first available library.
Where will I pick it up?
- When you create your account you will set Governors State University as your home library, so it will automatically be sent here. When you are requesting the book there is a way to change it to a different library, that information can be found on the Borrowing Books page.
Can I keep if for the entire semester?
- No, there is a standard 4 week loan period on books borrowed from another library. You can try to renew the book when the 4 weeks are up, if it can be renewed they will give you another 4 weeks. If the book can't be renewed you will have to return it or be fined late charges by the library that you borrowed the book from.
How long will it take to get the book?
- Allow at least 7 - 10 business days (Saturday, Sunday, and holidays do not count as business days).
How will I know when my book is at the library?
- The fastest way to see if your book is waiting at the Circulation desk to be picked up is by logging into your I-Share Account. The library will send a letter in the mail, so make sure you address is current and up to date.
How do I check it out? They didn't give me a library card for GSU.
- Your current GSU ID (staff and faculty) or myONECARD is also used as your library Card.
How do I reset my password? I know I created one before but I can't remember what I used.
- Go to http://tinyurl.com/od7ypht. You will receive an email with a link that will allow you to reset your password. If you don't remember what email you used, you will need to create a new I-Share account.