Resources Available on this Web Site
- Locate full-text articles and citations using the Library Resources in Biology.
- Locate free full-text articles and data on toxicology & safety, systems & taxonomy and more using Internet Resources in Biology
- Visit Writing Resources for Biology to learn about the scientific research article/paper, the APA, MLA and CBE styles, and how the GSU Writing Center can help you.
- Learn about the degree and certificate programs offered at the Biology Department at GSU.
- Search GSU Catalog below.
Library Resources in Biology
E-Books - We have access to a number of E-Book platforms. E-brary is the best for our purpose as it contains more current information. Ebrary. Create an account with a username and password of your choosing. Using advanced search type in (Environmental biology Or ecology) limited to current five years, and textbooks will get you started on the subject.
Watch out for NEW Ebooks and Books in the Boxes on the right. The list below are library databases recommended for locating full text journal articles, citations & abstracts in the subject of biology. Using a non-campus computer? You will be prompted for your Library ID Number and password. Refer to the Library ID web page for more information.
- WEB OF KNOWLEGE (Web of Science) - is a database of citation indexes including Science Citation Index, Social Science Citation Index and Arts and Humanities index. It also includes other databases. First time users have to sign in on CAMPUS using their govst.edu email addresses, and create a user ID and password as specified by the publisher. The database has excellent tutorials, and if further help is needed please contact me at 4137 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BIOSIS Previews (Ovid) The most comprehensive coverage of nearly 5,500 life science journals as well as 1,500 items from international meetings, review articles, books, book chapters, patents, and software reviews. Topics include agriculture, biochemistry, biotechnology, ecology, immunology, microbiology, molecular genetics, neuroscience, pharmacology, public health, toxicology, zoology
ScienceDirect College Edition (Elsevier) Research articles in chemistry, computer science, pharmacology, energy, engineering, mathematics, physics and astronomy, agricultural and biological sciences, biochemistry, genetics and molecular biology, environmental science, immunology and microbiology, and neuroscience.
PubMed/Medline The most complete index for biomedical clinical and research literature, published by the National Library of Medicine.
ACS Legacy Archives (American Chemical Society) Provides full-text searching and instant access to all titles, volumes, issues, and articles published by the American Chemical Society from 1879 to current.
- AGRICOLA (National Agricultural Library Abstract and Index ONLY)AGRICOLA (AGRICultural OnLine Access) serves as the catalog and index to the collections of the National Agricultural Library, as well as a primary public source for world-wide access to agricultural information. The NAL Catalog (AGRICOLA) is organized into two bibliographic data sets: The NAL Online Public Access Catalog contains citations to books, audiovisuals, serials, and other materials, most of which are in the Library's collection. (The Catalog does contain some records for items not held at NAL.) The Article Citation Database includes citations, many with abstracts, to journal articles (see Journals Indexed in AGRICOLA), book chapters, reports, and reprints, selected primarily from the materials found in the NAL Catalog. One also has the option to search both databases together.
- Project Muse - Includes full text journals in anthropology,science, philosophy & ethics of science, mathematics, medicine and health, and the history of science, technology, and medicine.
- JSTOR - Digital archives/full-text of scholarly research articles covering the subjects anthropology, archaeology; biological sciences, botany & plant sciences, ecology & evolutionary biology, general science; geography, history of science & technology, mathematics, statistics and more.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO) Academic Search Complete, designed specifically for academic institutions, is the world's largest scholarly, multi-disciplinary full text database containing full text for nearly 4,600 scholarly publications, including more than 3,500 peer-reviewed publications. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,052 journals in the collection.
D2410 Phone 708-534-4137
New E-books and books
Author: Matthews, John A. Herbert, David T.
Publisher: Oxford University Press, UK
Original Publication Date: 05/2008
Author: Mishra, Nawin C.
Original Publication Date: 03/2010
I, Microbiologist : A Discovery-Based Course in Microbial Ecology and Molecular Evolution (4th Edition)
Author: Sanders, Erin R. Miller, Jeffery H.
Publisher: ASM Press
Original Publication Date: 2010