Strategy to locate and access copies of articles:
- Conduct a literature search in the recommended indexes (above)
- Many indexes include full-text articles in PDF, TXT, and HTML formats. Use the icon to for links to other options.
- If you have a citation (Journal name, article title, year, volume number, etc) use the Full Text Journals List to locate content.
- Double check the GSU Library Catalog to locate journals in print
and microfilm formats, if not found in the Full Text Journals List.
Primary Databases/Indexes for Community Health Topics
Reference Sources - Health Topics
CQ Researcher (About CQ Researcher)
Credo Reference Unlimited (About CREDO Reference Library) online reference service featuring over 250 full-text reference titles with over 3 million entries from 57 highly-respected publishers integrated in a robust search engine with many unique interactive features.
MedlinePlus The National Library of Medicine's consumer health library of health topic articles, videos, tutorials, drug references, and self-help and advocacy groups.
Health Source Consumer This database is the richest collection of consumer health information available to libraries worldwide, providing information on many health topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health. Health Source: Consumer Edition provides access to nearly 80 full text, consumer health magazines.
Indexes and Full Text databases. These databases are also listed alphabetically on the Journals & Databases A-Z list. Click on the icon in the search results for possible full text availability of an article in other databases, or in the library’s print collection. An Interlibrary Loan request form is also available under "More Options"
CINAHL Plus with Full Text - (Ebsco) About CINAHL Plus with Full Text
CINAHL Plus with Full Text: Basic Searching (YouTube) (Powerpoint)
CINAHL Plus with Full Text: Advanced Searching (YouTube) (Powerpoint)
Health Source Nursing This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition also features the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
Proquest Health Library A subset of the Proquest Research Library.
PubMed/Medline - The most complete index for biomedical clinical and research literature, published by the National Library of Medicine.
- To limit to the Core Nursing Journal subset: Go to "Advanced Search". Under "Limit By Topics, Languages, Journals Groups" select English, Human, and then under Journal Subsets, select "Nursing".
- PubMed Basics PDF handout
- PubMed / MyNCBI handout (on using the My Account features)
- National Library of Medicine Gateway http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov (meta search of all NLM databases)
- NLM Resources for Nurses (PDF file) describes the knowledge-based databases of interest to Nursing at NLM
- PsycInfo The APA index to psychology, counseling, addictions, and related social science and biomedical literature
- ABI INFORM Index and full text database to business and management literature. Contains many health care and health services policy, management, and administration journals.
- Biosys Previews combines the content of both Biological Abstracts and Biological Abstracts/RRM (Reports, Reviews, Meetings), thus providing comprehensive coverage of nearly 5,500 life science journals as well as 1,500 items from international meetings, review articles, books, book chapters, patents, and software reviews.Topics include agriculture, biochemistry, biotechnology, ecology, immunology, microbiology, molecular genetics, neuroscience, pharmacology, public health, toxicology, zoology.
- ERIC Published by the US Department of Education. Contains both citations to journals, and ERIC documents. 80% of ERIC documents are published online for free. http://eric.ed.gov
- JSTOR Useful for indexing coverage of health policy, health sciences, and health economics journals going back to the early 1900's, with some full text coverage of journals such as American Journal of Nursing.
- Dissertations and Theses Full Text ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — Full text is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses. The official digital dissertations archive for the Library of Congress and the database of record for graduate research. PQDT — Full Text includes 2.7 million searchable citations to dissertation and theses from around the world from 1861 to the present day together with 1.2 million full text dissertations that are available for download in PDF format. Over 2.1 million titles are available for purchase as printed copies. The database offers full text for most of the dissertations added since 1997 and strong retrospective full text coverage for older graduate works.
Biomedical Journal Collections
- Science Direct College Edition
- Health Science Collection (Sage)
- Lippincott Williams and Wilkins (Yourjournals@OVID)
Updated 10/8/2011 pb
Related Indexes and Databases
Browse the Main Stacks
Try these LC areas for browsing Community Health subjects.
RA965.5 Community and hospital
RA421 Community Health Services
RC455 Community psychiatry
RA776.9 Health behavior
RA427.8 Health Promotion
RA790.5 Community psycholoy
RA1 Public Health
RT97 Public Health Nursing
RT98 Community Health Nursing
RT90.3 Health promotion nursing