GROWL Writing Center: Complete resource guide to various writing styles (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
The Writing Center at Governors State provides help and resources for students and faculty and can be accessed in the following three ways:
1) Call 708-235-7337 to make a one-on-one appointment with a consultant or to ask a question about writing;
2) Online at our online writing center at http://www.govst.edu/Academics/Services_and_Resources/Writing_Center/ to submit your paper for revision suggestions, links to valid and reliable resources, such as a template that will format your paper in APA/MLA style, answers to basic questions about APA/MLA documentation, help getting started with your paper, and answers to troublesome grammar questions; and
3) In the library Writing center consultants are available to help you focus your research or answer questions regarding APA/MLA styles, Mon-Thurs 3:30-7:30 pm or Sat 11:30AM-3:30PM,
Avoid the Most Common APA Errors (open access article from Research in the Schools)
- "Evidence-Based Guidelines for Avoiding the Most Common APA Errors in Journal Article Submission" http://msera.org/download/RITS_16_2_APAErrors6th.pdf
The authors of this article posted a guest editorial on the APA style blog on 1/6/2011
Legal Citations Helps
- The APA Publication Manual, 6th Edition 2009 has examples of how to cite laws, regulations, and other government information in the APA citation style. The GSU Library Reference Desk has a copy of the “Bluebook” , 18th edition, which is the definitive style guide for legal citation in the United States. See below: (note that Bluebook is one word.)
- Harvard Law Review Assn. (2005) The Bluebook: a uniform system of citation. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Law Review Association. REF KF245 . A5 2005 (GSU Library Reference Desk)
- Brief Guide to Citing Government Publications from University of Memphis Libraries (but use APA style)http://www.memphis.edu/govpub/citweb.php
- How to Cite the Law (Cornell University Law School Library) http://www.law.cornell.edu/citation/L
Literature Review Paper
How to Write a Literature Review (PDF) - Asian Institute of Technology (has extensive list of links within document)
Tips on Conducting a Literature Review Dena Taylor, U of Toronto (literature search aspect)
National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE definition of Review Article. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/pubtypes.html
On compiling an annotated bibliography / by James L. Harner, J2000 Call Number: Z1001 .H332000 (Reference)
check chapters in APA, Chicago, MLA, etc publication manuals.
Review Articles and Systematic Reviews
Systematic reviews in the social sciences : a practical guide / by Petticrew, Mark Published 2006 Call Number: H62 .P4572006
Health sciences literature review made easy : the matrix method / by Garrard, Judith Published c2011 Call Number: R118.6 .G372011
- see also pertinent chapters in the Publication Manuals of the APA, Chicago, MLA, etc.
- National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE definition of Review Article. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/pubtypes.html
updated 1/17/2014 pmb
American Psychological Association.
Call Number: Click for details
Call Number: REF. BF76.7 .C66 2010
Endnote Online - Citation and Cite While You Write
The GSU Library has a subscription to Endnote Online, a citation management platform. By using Endote to manage citations, you can use a Microsoft Word plugin to access your citation database, and format in-text and reference page citations in your papers.