Strategy to locate and access copies of articles:
- Conduct a literature search in the recommended indexes (above)
- Many indexes include full-text articles in PDF, TXT, and HTML formats. Use the icon to for links to other options.
- If you have a citation (Journal name, article title, year, volume number, etc) use the Full Text Journals List to locate content.
- Double check the GSU Library Catalog to locate journals in print
and microfilm formats, if not found in the Full Text Journals List.
Scholarly and Research Literature - Nursing and Medicine
Indexes to Literature and Full Text Databases.
These databases are also listed alphabetically on the Journals & Databases A-Z list. Click on the icon in the search results for possible full text availability of an article in other databases, or in the library’s print collection.
PubMed/Medline - The most complete index for biomedical clinical and research literature, published by the National Library of Medicine.
- To limit to the Core Nursing Journal subset: Go to "Advanced Search". Under "Limit By Topics, Languages, Journals Groups" select English, Human, and then under Journal Subsets, select "Nursing".
- PubMed Basics PDF handout
- PubMed / MyNCBI handout (on using the My Account features)
- PubMed Tutorials
- Search Clinic: Building a PubMed Search Query (30 Minute webcast)
- National Library of Medicine Gateway http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov (meta search of all NLM databases)
- NLM Resources for Nurses (PDF file) describes the knowledge-based databases of interest to Nursing at NLM
- PsychInfo (Ebsco) About PsycInfo The APA index to psychology, counseling, addictions, and related social science and biomedical literature
- ABI INFORM (Proquest) About ABI Inform Index and full text database to business and management literature. Contains many health care and health services policy, management, and administration journals.
- Business Source Premier - (Ebsco) About BSP Journal ranking studies reveal that Business Source Premier is superior to the competition in full text coverage in all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics. Business Source Premier contains full text from the world's top management and marketing journalsERIC About ERIC Published by the US Department of Education. Contains both citations to journals, and ERIC documents. 80% of ERIC documents are published online for free. http://eric.ed.gov
- JSTOR Useful for indexing coverage of health policy, health sciences, and health economics journals going back to the early 1900's, with some full text coverage of journals such as American Journal of Nursing.
- Dissertations and Theses Full Text About ProQuest Dissertations and Theses -- is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses. The official digital dissertations archive for the Library of Congress and the database of record for graduate research. PQDT — Full Text includes 2.7 million searchable citations to dissertation and theses from around the world from 1861 to the present day together with 1.2 million full text dissertations that are available for download in PDF format. Over 2.1 million titles are available for purchase as printed copies. The database offers full text for most of the dissertations added since 1997 and strong retrospective full text coverage for older graduate works.
Patient Education / Consumer Health Info
- MedlinePlus the National Library of Medicine clearinghouse of videos and patient ed handouts, dictionaries, encyclopedias, directories, etc.
Updated 8/28/13 pb
Browse the Main Stacks
Try these LC areas for browsing Nursing book and video titles.
RT49 Nursing assessment
RT61 Home Nursing, see also RT120.H65
RT81.5 Nursing Research
RT85 Nursing Ethics
RT89 Nursing Administration
RT97 Public Health Nursing
RT98 Community Health Nursing
Nursing specialties are cataloged as follows:
RJ245+ Pediatric Nursing
RC954 Geriatric Nursing
RC266 Cancer Nursing
RC674 Cardiovascular Nursing
RE88, RF52.5 Otolaryngological Nursing
RC735.5, RL125 Respiratory Nursing
RG105 Gynecological Nursing
RG951 Maternal Nursing
RC350.5 Neurological Nursing
RG951 Obstetrical Nursing
RC440 Psychiatric Nursing
RJ247 School Nursing
RD99+ Surgical Nursing
RD753 Orthopedic Nursing