Strategy to locate and access copies of articles:
- Conduct a literature search in the recommended indexes (above)
- Many indexes include full-text articles in PDF, TXT, and HTML formats. Use the icon to for links to other options.
- If you have a citation (Journal name, article title, year, volume number, etc) use the Full Text Journals List to locate content.
- Double check the GSU Library Catalog to locate journals in print
and microfilm formats, if not found in the Full Text Journals List.
Databases for Nursing and Related Displine Literature
Indexes to Literature and Full Text Databases.
These databases are also listed alphabetically on the Journals & Databases A-Z list. Click on the icon in the search results for possible full text availability of an article in other databases, or in the library’s print collection.
CINAHL Plus with Full Text - (Ebsco) About CINAHL Plus with Full Text
CINAHL Plus with Full Text: Basic Searching (YouTube) (Powerpoint)
CINAHL Plus with Full Text: Advanced Searching (YouTube) (Powerpoint)
PubMed/Medline - The most complete index for biomedical clinical and research literature, published by the National Library of Medicine.
- To limit to the Core Nursing Journal subset: Go to "Advanced Search". Under "Limit By Topics, Languages, Journals Groups" select English, Human, and then under Journal Subsets, select "Nursing".
- PubMed Basics PDF handout
- PubMed / MyNCBI handout (on using the My Account features)
- PubMed Tutorials
- Search Clinic: Building a PubMed Search Query (30 Minute webcast)
- National Library of Medicine Gateway http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov (meta search of all NLM databases)
- NLM Resources for Nurses (PDF file) describes the knowledge-based databases of interest to Nursing at NLM
- PsychInfo (Ebsco) About PsycInfo The APA index to psychology, counseling, addictions, and related social science and biomedical literature
- ABI INFORM (Proquest) About ABI Inform Index and full text database to business and management literature. Contains many health care and health services policy, management, and administration journals.
- Business Source Premier - (Ebsco) About BSP Journal ranking studies reveal that Business Source Premier is superior to the competition in full text coverage in all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics. Business Source Premier contains full text from the world's top management and marketing journals
- Biosys Previews combines the content of both Biological Abstracts and Biological Abstracts/RRM (Reports, Reviews, Meetings), thus providing comprehensive coverage of nearly 5,500 life science journals as well as 1,500 items from international meetings, review articles, books, book chapters, patents, and software reviews.Topics include agriculture, biochemistry, biotechnology, ecology, immunology, microbiology, molecular genetics, neuroscience, pharmacology, public health, toxicology, zoology.
- ERIC About ERIC Published by the US Department of Education. Contains both citations to journals, and ERIC documents. 80% of ERIC documents are published online for free. http://eric.ed.gov
- JSTOR Useful for indexing coverage of health policy, health sciences, and health economics journals going back to the early 1900's, with some full text coverage of journals such as American Journal of Nursing.
- Dissertations and Theses Full Text About ProQuest Dissertations and Theses -- is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses. The official digital dissertations archive for the Library of Congress and the database of record for graduate research. PQDT — Full Text includes 2.7 million searchable citations to dissertation and theses from around the world from 1861 to the present day together with 1.2 million full text dissertations that are available for download in PDF format. Over 2.1 million titles are available for purchase as printed copies. The database offers full text for most of the dissertations added since 1997 and strong retrospective full text coverage for older graduate works.
Biomedical Journal Collections
- Science Direct College Edition
- Health Science Collection (Sage)
- Lippincott Williams and Wilkins (Yourjournals@OVID)
- CQ Researcher (About CQ Researcher) Research on contemporary issues of all types.
- Credo Reference Unlimited (About CREDO Reference Library) online reference service featuring over 250 full-text reference titles with over 3 million entries from 57 highly-respected publishers integrated in a robust search engine with many unique interactive features.
- Drugs, Supplements, and Herbs lookup from the National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus
- NIH Pillbox BETA under development.. You can look up medications by visual description, or by name, etc. National Library of Medicine and NIH.
Patient Education / Consumer Health Info
- MedlinePlus the National Library of Medicine clearinghouse of videos and patient ed handouts, dictionaries, encyclopedias, directories, etc.
Updated 10/8/2011 pb
Organized in 1960, the Interagency Council on Information Resources in Nursing is a voluntary group made up of agencies and organizations concerned with providing library and informational resources for nursing and improving access to library services for all nurses.
Produced biennially and recently published in the National League for Nursing's publication, Nursing Education Perspectives, "References" is a comprehensive listing of both print and non-print reference materials considered essential to accessing information on all aspects of the nursing profession. The list includes print and electronic sources to support nursing practice, education, administration, and research.
Health Statistics Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Statistics Page
- National Center for Health Statistics (also CDC)
- Illinois Department of Public Health Statistics
State Health Facts Online
from the Kaiser Family Foundation. Contains state-level data on demographics, health, health policy, uncluding health coverage, access, afinancing, and state legislation.
Nursing Care Plans
Nursing care plans and pathways can also be found on CINAHL, see above.
- American Nurses Association
- Illinois Nurses Association
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation
Local and regional nursing job ads, CE articles, and news.
Nursing and Nursing Research Internet Resources
from the University of Iowa Hardin Health Science Library.
A goldmine of good health information from the world's largest medical library, the National Library of Medicine. Health professionals and consumers alike can depend on it for information that is authoritative and up to date. MEDLINEplus has extensive information from the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on over 500diseases and conditions. There are also lists of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia and dictionaries, health information in Spanish, extensive information on prescription and nonprescription drugs, health information from the media, and links to thousands of clinical trials.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
(Formerly called HCFA, Health Care Finance Association)
- Finding Books
Please leave your name and email address if I do not respond to the AskPaul message. Or leave a phone number for me to reach you by phone.
Reference Office, D2410
708-534-4139 (leave a message)
Comparison of Proquest Nursing and Allied Health and Ebsco's CINAHL Full Text Databases
Browse the Main Stacks
Try these LC areas for browsing Nursing book and video titles.
RT49 Nursing assessment
RT61 Home Nursing, see also RT120.H65
RT81.5 Nursing Research
RT85 Nursing Ethics
RT89 Nursing Administration
RT97 Public Health Nursing
RT98 Community Health Nursing
Nursing specialties are cataloged as follows:
RJ245+ Pediatric Nursing
RC954 Geriatric Nursing
RC266 Cancer Nursing
RC674 Cardiovascular Nursing
RE88, RF52.5 Otolaryngological Nursing
RC735.5, RL125 Respiratory Nursing
RG105 Gynecological Nursing
RG951 Maternal Nursing
RC350.5 Neurological Nursing
RG951 Obstetrical Nursing
RC440 Psychiatric Nursing
RJ247 School Nursing
RD99+ Surgical Nursing
RD753 Orthopedic Nursing